Monday, May 21, 2007

Class Material Post #4: DealCatcher.com

One of the guest speakers that presented to our class was the founder of DealCatcher.com. He explained how his website doesn’t actually sell anything or process transactions. He posts coupons up for companies that can be used at the company’s website. The idea is to attract price-sensitive buyers with these coupons and then they will use them on the company website to purchase a product. DealCatcher.com exposes customers to company websites because they would normally not visit them due to the expensive prices.

I thought this was a great idea, but I didn’t think I would benefit from it. I am not price-sensitive because if I want something, I have to have it! Usually the things I want are higher-priced, and I thought there was no chance there would coupons for such brands on DealCatcher.com. Searching for something to inspire my blog entry, I went to DealCatcher.com just for the heck of it. I looked at the beauty then jewelry coupons and wasn’t impressed. Then, I clicked on the apparel section, and I could not believe what I saw! My favorite brand of shoes in the whole wide world had multiple coupons posted! There were also coupons for Gucci, Bluefly.com, and Bloomingdales. There are other brands on DealCatcher.com that are usually not bought by people who are price-sensitive, such as J.Crew, Diesel, and Apple. I feel DealCatcher.com should increase marketing efforts toward additional market segments because they have coupons for brands that attract all types of buyers.

No comments: