Sunday, May 20, 2007

Conestoga High School Wikipedia Article

The "Conestoga High School" article on Wikipedia also receives fairly regular contributions and has evolved somewhat since I became involved in editing. However, it is frustrating that the majority of the users are current students who think they know more than Conestoga alumni. There haven’t been any new sections added to the article, but each section has been elaborated upon. Unfortunately, a lot of the edits were devoted to the controversy section of the article, rather than being devoted to updating and adding information. There seems to be a divide between users that want a description of the incident to appear on the page and users who do not think it is necessary to mention. I don’t think there should be a controversy section because I don’t want Conestoga to be defined by the incident that occurred. Most of my edits remain in the article. However, I was disappointed that my trivia edit was deleted because some 9th grader user doesn’t think that white should be included in the school colors. I’ve chanted “garnet, gray, and white” on the football field and basketball court for years, so I’m certain it should be included in the school colors. Other than the two disappointments, I feel the Conestoga article is coming along nicely, especially in terms of content about notable former students, trivia, and references.