Monday, May 21, 2007

O-m-g, i-n-b-d!

I found an article from Slashdot that I can really relate to, and I'm almost sure every one of my classmates can, too: "For Texting Teens, an OMG Moment When the Phone Bill Arrives". The article discusses the text messaging craze among teenagers and how it is burning holes in parents' pockets. Cell phone companies have come out with new packages to ease the price and accomodate teens' frequent texts, but the monthly text message allowances continue to not be enough. The best plan for texters has proven to be one that includes unlimited texting.

The article also attempts to explain the reason for text-message popularity. Referring to text messaging as a "crutch," the article speculates teens choose texting because it eliminates face-to-face contact and you have a while to think about what you want to say since you don't have to respond promptly. I disagree with the reasoning. My friends and I are frequent texters, but I know we would all rather speak to each other in person if we had the choice. The reason for my texting is to amuse myself during idle time, such as if I'm studying in the library or riding on a bus. Lastly, I feel text messaging is so popular because it allows you to talk to a lot of people at the same time.

No comments: